First Wealth to become directly authorised and makes key leadership hire

Appoints David Aaron as head of compliance

Jenna Brown
clock • 2 min read

Financial planning firm First Wealth has announced plans to become directly authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to give the business full autonomy over how it “shapes its own regulatory approach”.

The wealth business also said it had hired head of compliance David Aaron to oversee the application process and embed compliance thinking across the business. It said he had the "experience and the entrepreneurial mindset" to make the most of the opportunity presented by becoming directly authorised. Aaron has more than 20 years of compliance experience. He previously worked at St. James's Place, Smith and Williamson, Brewin Dolphin, Saunderson House, and 7IM. First Wealth co-founder and managing director Anthony Villis said: "We are building a business for the long term, which me...

To continue reading this article...

Join Professional Adviser for free

  • Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence
  • Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
  • Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
  • Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection
  • Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
  • Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes

Join

 

Already a Professional Adviser member?

Login

More on Companies

AJ Bell net inflows hit record £4.2bn as revenue grows 19%

AJ Bell net inflows hit record £4.2bn as revenue grows 19%

Customers numbers up 12%

Cristian Angeloni
clock 21 May 2026 • 2 min read
Entrepreneurial exits buoy Murphy Wealth to £280m AUM

Entrepreneurial exits buoy Murphy Wealth to £280m AUM

Results posted a year since Söderberg & Partners-backing

Isabel Baxter
clock 20 May 2026 • 2 min read
NS&I to repay £367m after bereavement tracing failures

NS&I to repay £367m after bereavement tracing failures

Payouts to 34,000 estates

Isabel Baxter
clock 20 May 2026 • 4 min read