In March, gross mortgage lending by building societies and other mutual lenders was £2.9 bn, a rise of 8% against 2012.
Mutuals lent £.7.8bn in the first quarter of 2013, a 19% rise on Q1 2012. In the first quarter of 2013, net lending by mutuals was £1.9bn, up from £0.9bn in the first quarter of 2012. During the same period in 2013 net lending by other providers was minus £1.7bn. Building societies and other mutual lenders approved a total of 30,495 mortgages in March, up 12% compared to the 27,260 in the same month last year and up 26% on the 24,294 loans approved in February. Retail savings balances at mutuals rose by £1.2bn in March compared to a reduction of £0.3bn in the same month last year. ...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.