Annuities are the foundation on which a sustainable and secure retirement income is built, writes William Burrows
Annuities are back in fashion again - long live the annuity! The reason for the resurgence in annuities is the increased income as annuity rates increase. A year ago, the benchmark annuity (£100,000, ages 65 and 60, joint life 2/3rds and level payments) was paying about £4,800 per annum gross and today it is paying over £6,000. An increase of 26%. Rates have increased because yields have increased. There is a useful yardstick; for every 100-basis point rise in yields we can expect annuities to increase by about 10%. This doesn't work exactly but is useful when trying to predict annuit...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.