Discussing privilege in the context of diversity and inclusion (D&I) is a touchy subject but one which is essential when running a modern financial planning business, delegates heard.
Magenta Financial Planning director Gretchen Betts said acknowledging your own privilege was something that could make people "quite fidgety" but it was very important to recognise it while on the D&I learning curve. She said: "It's really important that we address our own privilege before we stop think about this learning curve and I think the important thing is that it can help us make better decisions if we are aware it [privilege]." Betts referenced a quote which said "privilege is usually invisible to the person who has it until it's pointed out or after the privilege is taken aw...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.