Multi-asset twice as popular with advisers as in 2016 - Aegon

Model portfolio popularity dropped

Victoria McKeever
clock • 2 min read

The popularity of multi-asset funds doubled in the last year, with a third of advisers now saying they predominantly use this type of investment strategy with their clients, research from Aegon has found.

The provider found 18% of advisers had used multi-asset funds in 2016, growing to 36% in 2017. The research also found that the use of model portfolios had dropped simultaneously - from 41% in 2016 to 36% in 2017. However, Aegon said, the collective popularity of multi-asset and model portfolio funds still made up nearly three quarters (72%) of advisers' investment strategies. The remaining 28% of advisers surveyed, said they mainly used single-strategy funds (12%), stockpicking (9%) or discretionary fund managers (DFMs) (8%). Aegon surveyed 100 IFAs in March 2017 and compared this...

To continue reading this article...

Join Professional Adviser

  • Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
  • Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
  • Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
  • Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
  • Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
  • 
 Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.

Join

 

Already a Professional Adviser member?

Login

More on Investment

Industry Voice: Active vs passive investing - how the debate stacks up

Industry Voice: Active vs passive investing - how the debate stacks up

The active vs passive investing debate shows no sign of abating and can sometimes seem one-sided. But is there a case for both in your clients’ portfolios and, if so, how do you strike the appropriate balance?

Alex Funk, CIO, Schroder Investment Solutions
clock 25 November 2022 • 5 min read
Advisers rate MPS service and support over suitability

Advisers rate MPS service and support over suitability

‘Additional pressure heaped on advisers this year by global events and market shocks’

Ayesha Venkataraman
clock 25 November 2022 • 2 min read

Industry Voice: Uncovering Opportunities for Investors Around the Globe

PIMCO Income Strategy

PIMCO
clock 24 November 2022 • 1 min read