Distributor Openwork has expressed concerns that mortgage lenders are not always consistent in their underwriting and processing of self-certification cases.
Paul Shearman, mortgage proposition director for Openwork, has called for lenders to show greater consistency on how they go about policing self-cert business adding if lenders and compliance teams are in line with one another then problems with the fabrication of figures should be dramatically reduced. He says while there is considerable and growing demand for self-cert as the self-employed increase in numbers, lenders must adopt a responsible approach and drive consistency, while brokers need to select their clients carefully and advise them responsibly. Self-cert mortgages now make up ...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.