Saffron Building Society's John Eastgate on why direct channels still cannot compete with intermediaries...
During a discussion in the office this week, one of our members of staff (not involved in the mortgage department) observed that it was a shame we had to pay fees to brokers for introducing business and "how much better it would be if we had it all direct". It was an understandable comment; we would keep more fee income and we would have a new customer to whom we could cross-sell other Saffron services. But at what cost? Frankly, it would be huge. Today's consumer is driven by the perceptions of truth generated by the internet, hence the huge success of comparison sites. Yet, we...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.