West Riding Personal Financial Solutions managing director and IFA Neil Liversidge has launched a petition to try and end the transaction of cryptocurrency in the UK.
Liversidge (pictured), whose own firm now requires a guarantee from every fund manager to say they will not purchase cryptos, told Professional Adviser he has helped several clients who fell victim to online scammers. One was blackmailed into sending £5,000 in Bitcoin after he thought he was sending private photos to a woman he met online. The second victim, Liversidge said, was a elderly woman groomed by a South African gang of Bitcoin scammers operating a ‘trading programme' fraud. She lost £18,000. "Cryptos are a con in the truest sense of the term. I'm out to crash cryptos and ...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.