Five million pension savers could be putting their retirement pots at risk to scammers, The Pensions Regulator (TPR) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) have warned as part of their latest ScamSmart campaign.
The regulators' joint warning has come as research revealed 42% of pension savers - which equates to more than five million people - could be at risk of falling for common tactics used by scammers by taking actions that could expose them. Research suggested cold calls, exotic investments and early access to cash are among the most persuasive tactics used to scam savers out of their money, while 60% of those actively looking for ways to boost their retirement income are likely to be affected by one or more scam. The survey - which questioned more than 2,000 adults aged 45 to 65 with a ...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.