Pensioners v shareholders, annuity rates and student finance - here's our weekly heads-up on the financial stories that may have caught your clients' attention over the weekend …
Could big pension deficits endanger your FTSE dividends? "Huge final salary pension obligations have the potential to limit your investment returns," warns this Telegraph article. It goes on to say that, of the 10 companies paying the highest dividends in Britain, seven have more than £10bn in pension deficits, prompting concerns over the sustainability of dividend payments to shareholders. "Between them, HSBC, Royal Dutch Shell, National Grid, British American Tobacco and Lloyds Banking Group accounted for 34% of all dividends paid out in Britain in the second quarter of this year," t...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.