MoJ shuts 209 claims management firms in six months

clock

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) closed more than 200 claims management companies in a six-month period as part of a crackdown, figures show.

The MoJ's Claims Management Regulation Unit shut down 209 claims firms between April and November last year, it said. Three more rogue firms were suspended and a further 140 were warned. Claims firm advertise on TV, newspapers and the internet, encouraging people to sue for the mis-selling of payment protection insurance and for other losses. Some also use cold-calling. The MoJ unit is also working with the UK's data watchdog to tackle firms who break the law with unsolicited calls and texts, it said.

To continue reading this article...

Join Professional Adviser for free

  • Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence
  • Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
  • Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
  • Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection
  • Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
  • Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes

Join

 

Already a Professional Adviser member?

Login

More on Regulation

FOS reveals next phase of reforms

FOS reveals next phase of reforms

Including new powers to dismiss certain cases

Isabel Baxter
clock 11 August 2026 • 3 min read
Court sets trial date in illegal financial promotions case

Court sets trial date in illegal financial promotions case

Lucy Beck pleads not guilty

Sophia Panayi
clock 31 July 2026 • 1 min read
FCA flags weak customer outcome focus in firms' monitoring frameworks

FCA flags weak customer outcome focus in firms' monitoring frameworks

Consumer Duty review found inconsistent governance and oversight

Sophia Panayi
clock 27 July 2026 • 2 min read