Laing and Buisson - Dental plans buck market spending trends


The recession has seen spending on private dentistry fall for the first time on record, according to Laing and Buisson's Dentistry UK Market Report 2011, yet dental plans are ever more popular.

Private dentistry has decreased by an estimated 7% in real terms over 2008/09 and 2009/10, as consumers cut back, and NHS availability encouraged patients to save on dentistry costs. The survey shows 58% of primary care dentistry spending was on NHS treatment in 2009/10, equivalent to £3.3bn, while the remaining 42% of UK market value was represented by private dentistry, worth some £2.4bn. Private spend is estimated to have peaked at around £2.5bn for the UK in 2007/08, just prior to the economic recession. Elsewhere, the Report reports that dental plans have become more popular, wit...

To continue reading this article...

Join Professional Adviser

  • Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
  • Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
  • Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
  • Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
  • Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
 Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.



Already a Professional Adviser member?


More on Cashplans

Medicash unveils plan including unlimited NHS dental cover

Medicash has launched a new corporate health cash plan including unlimited NHS Cover, access to Best Doctors and direct payment of PMI excesses.

clock 21 February 2012 •

Simplyhealth buys Denplan for £115m

Simplyhealth has bought dental cash plan provider Denplan from Axa for £115m.

clock 20 December 2011 •

Bupa joins individual dental cover market

Bupa has introduced its first consumer dental insurance product.

clock 19 December 2011 •