Who owns the property? The fact that ownership of real estate can trigger an unwanted and unanticip...
Who owns the property? The fact that ownership of real estate can trigger an unwanted and unanticipated tax connection (since it implies either a business or residential presence in a jurisdiction) means that effects of ownership of land and buildings will never be as straightforward as the ownership of bank deposits or securities. However, banks are increasingly willing to lend to individuals against property acquired for investment rather than for personal occupation and will lend to both UK expatriates and foreign nationals to acquire residential property in the UK for investment purpo...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.