Continuing our countdown to Christmas, Alister Hibbert looks back at a challenging year for active managers in Europe - and forward to the 'increasingly attractive' prospect of fiscal stimulus.
2016 has proved a very challenging year for active fund management. Over the course of the year we have seen some significant political outcomes and lacklustre earnings growth weigh on sentiment in Europe. It appears that politics and sentiment have overwhelmed the economic reality of stocks at times. Europe has now been in a bear market since spring 2015 despite steady, albeit very sluggish, economic growth and continued ongoing extraordinary monetary easing by the ECB. Where we have seen a material shift is in the sentiment of the European populous, who appear to be increasingly reward...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.