There is no shortage of easy-to-read, snappily-titled finance books aimed at the mass-market.
Authors market these books as simple guides that unlock the mysterious world of finance for the ordinary Joe. Some like John Lanchester's Whoops! do just that. Others, like David Craig's latest offering, are scaremongering exercises mired in inaccuracies. Craig (the pseudonym of Neil Glass, former management consultant) published his latest book Pillaged! How they are looting £413m a day from your savings and pensions and what to do about it in April. The book is a vague, paranoid and poorly-informed rant claiming the government and the financial services industry conspires to ruth...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.