What better time of year to discuss gifts - here Laura Suter looks at the growing trend for family members to sell investments to help children or grandchildren and outlines the rules around IHT gifting...
The Bank of Mum and Dad (or even Gran and Grandad) has long been supporting younger generations to get on the property ladder. If it was a bank it would be in the top ten mortgage lenders, and it's got the handy moniker of ‘Bomad' now. But this help is now increasingly extending to cost of living support. Older people who have built up wealth and investments are increasingly using that to support family and friends hit by current rising prices. Research we carried out with our customers recently found that a fifth were either planning to sell investments to dish out money to loved one...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.