The Prince of Wales has called on the pensions industry to ditch its "short-term outlook" or risk condemning the country to a "miserable future".
In a video message to delegates, the Prince said a combination of pollution, overconsumption of natural resources, "unprecedented levels" of debt and a rising population has created a "perfect storm" that institutional investors must tackle. He said: "As the largest class of institutional investor and as a sector that is defined by your long-term liabilities, you have a need, and arguably a duty, to ensure that these emerging environmental, social and economic risks are identified and managed. "With an ageing population, and pension fund liabilities that are therefore stretching out f...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.