The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has barred Direct Line from showing a TV advert again after it was found to have misled consumers.
The ad for featuring TV presenter Sarah Beeney explained the difference between landlord insurance and regular home insurance, and showed in large text the message: "we guarantee to beat any quote". In smaller text, the ad showed the words: "New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Minimum premiums apply. Cover excludes NI. Qualifying criteria apply." The ASA ruled that Direct Line's pledge to "guarantee any quote" was an "absolute claim" which contradicted the insurer's limit on quotes to those of a minimum premium. Direct Line's ad was found in breach of broadcas...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.