Now that the dust is settling following the General Election, how will promised public sector cuts impact on the NHS? Jill Davies discusses the possible future of healthcare in the UK
We’re facing a new era in the NHS. Andrew Lansley, our new Health Secretary, has an ambition to serve the NHS to the best of his ability. Times have changed since the NHS was introduced in 1948 – however, the principle of the NHS remains the same – free treatment at the point of delivery, from the cradle to the grave. With a new government comes new ideas and strategies. The challenge is going to be how to deliver an improved service at a reduced cost. Pre-election, the Conservatives’ policy statements held a determination to protect the service. Mr Lansley pledged that, if elected, t...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.