Barrie Dawson explores discounted gift trusts in his latest article for Professional Adviser...
"Off-the-shelf" trusts from UK life offices (and their overseas branches) provide financial planners with trust solutions that might help reduce or eliminate their clients' inheritance tax (IHT) liability. The big four are the gift trust, loan trust, discounted gift trust (DGT) and flexible reversionary trust (FRT). Other than the same-day additions rules introduced by the Finance (No.2) Act 2015 in IHTA84/S62A, the last time the government made significant changes that impacted the above four types of trust was on 22 March 2006. Of course, the introduction of the Trust Registration S...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.