Industry commentators are forecasting that the UK economy will "comfortably" recover to its pre-pandemic levels by the end of the year, after a strong June reading that took year-on-year Q2 growth to 4.8%.
The figure, reported by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) on Thursday (12 August), includes a 1% rise in June and is "strongly ahead" of US and European equivalents, according to Charles Hepworth, investment director at GAM Investments. He called the figures "a stunningly strong rate of growth compared to other western economies on a like-for-like basis", but warned this "record pace" is unlikely to continue now that coronavirus restrictions have been largely factored in to growth forecasts. "Consumer expenditure drove the increase over the second quarter despite a rise in coro...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.