The new prime minister Rishi Sunak will enjoy a honeymoon period and a relief rally in the markets as he takes on the role today (25 October), Valeria Martinez finds, but experts have warned that it may be short-lived
Former chancellor Rishi Sunak has been successful in his bid to become the new Conservative Party leader and thus next prime minister, replacing Liz Truss, who resigned on 20 October after just 44 days in office. The news has spared markets any additional uncertainty today, with sterling edging higher after the announcement and falling gilt yields bringing hope that borrowing costs may continue to ease. Ten-year gilt yields are down 6% to 3.8%, while two-year gilt yields have decreased to 3.3%, from 3.8% last Friday. Sterling is broadly flat on the day at $1.13, having retraced sligh...
To continue reading this article...
Join Professional Adviser
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence.
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters.
- Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection.
- Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes.