Risk Clinic: MPPI and PPI concerns

clock

Several clients have come to me with queries about existing mortgage payment protection insurance (MPPI) and PPI policies. I don't have the time to read all the policy documentation, but given the current situation in the PPI market for Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) and compliance reasons, should I look into re-broking them into standard products?

Matt Morris, Lifesearch The short answer is emphatically yes. Not all clients will be right to re-broke, but advisers should at least look into their needs and circumstances. In most cases, switching to income protection (IP) will be the right decision. As most advisers acknowledge, IP should be at the top of the list of products to discuss with clients when it comes time to examine their protection needs. There is nothing inherently wrong with PPI – it is a useful product as far as it goes. The problem is that is has been sold in huge numbers when in most cases, IP is the product t...

To continue reading this article...

Join Professional Adviser for free

• Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights and market intelligence
  • Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on emerging trends and technologies
  • Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
  • Make smart business decisions with the latest developments in regulation, investing retirement and protection
  • Members-only access to the editor’s weekly Friday commentary
  • Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes

Join

Already a Professional Adviser member?

Login

More on MPPI

PPI provider offers 30% commission

Online payment protection insurance (PPI) provider Paymentcare is offering a 30.8% commission to brokers who switch clients' policies to one of its products.

clock 14 February 2012 •

Longevity - If the genes fit...

Ever wondered why females tend to outlive males? Is gender a ‘short-cut' - a proxy to behavioural differences? Eli Friedwald takes a tour of the competing theories trying to explain the difference in life expectancy between the sexes

Eli Friedwald
clock 26 September 2011 • 7 min read

PPI redress hits £215m in H1

Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) complainants received a total of £215m in redress in the first half of 2011, the Financial Services Authority (FSA) has revealed.

clock 30 August 2011 •