George Osborne today delivered what he called "a Budget for working people". Here we pick the best quotations.....from the horse's mouth.
From the Chancellor...
1. “Tax avoidance is morally repugnant.”
2. “We must repair the disastrous model of economic growth that created Britain’s record debt.”
3. “Financial services is not the only string to our bow.”
4. British people will "share the efforts and the rewards."
5. "We want to keep Wallace & Gromit exactly where they are."
6. "This country borrowed its way into trouble, now we're going to work our way out"
7. "We simply cannot justify those earning £15,000 paying for those earning £80,000."
8. "We are within touching distance" of £10,000 personal allowance goal
9. "We need to give Britain a modern tax system fit for the modern world."
...And from the Opposition leader:
10. "Now he's going to be able to buy his own horse" – Ed Miliband to David Cameron, in reference to the ‘horsegate’ scandal in which the PM admitted he rode ex-News International boss Rebekah Brooks’ horse.
Clarke replacing Balkham
'Deep-dive analysis of client behaviour'
Ways to mitigate April’s increases
The best equity income funds examined