Hector Sants told FSA staff in a memo he hoped his decision to remain with the regulator would be a "welcome one".
Sants sent the internal message yesterday, after Chancellor George Osborne announced the previously-outgoing FSA chief executive would actually remain in the City as head of a new Bank of England subsidiary, the Prudential Authority.
He will also remain at the FSA to oversee the transition to the Government's new system of regulation.
In the memo, seen by Sky News, Sants said: "The announcement made [on Wednesday] night by the Chancellor may have come as a surprise to many but hopefully as a welcome one."
"You can be assured I will now be applying myself with great determination to the vitally important task both of continuing to manage the whole of the FSA through to 2012 and ensuring that the new regulatory structure delivers what society expects from it."
Sants, who was due to step down from his role at the FSA in the summer, told staff he was "delighted" to be asked to stay on to lead the regulator before taking up the role of the first chief executive of the new Prudential Authority.
He said the work the FSA has done over the last three years "provides an excellent basis on which to build".
"I am confident that together we will carry forward into the new world all those hard-won lessons and experiences of the past."
Sants will also become a deputy governor of the more powerful Bank.
Since November 2008
Share issue oversubscribed
PARTNER INSIGHT: For many advisers, outsourcing to a multi-manager or discretionary fund manager makes sense, allowing them to focus on the adviser-client relationship
Events, information and other services
An added tier of asset management can of course deliver additional benefits for certain investors, writes Graham Bentley - just be sure you can justify it to the regulator and, especially, the client